Thursday, January 10, 2008

What a difference a day makes.

I've been in the fine tuning mode for this marathon vs others. With prior marathons I pretty much just blindly followed a book or only changed a little. With this marathon I have been combining what sounds good from many sources. One of the ideas was to deplete before carb loading. I really think of it as crash diet - atkins style - during the taper up until the last three days than start the typical carb loading last three days. So this is what I've been doing - essentially no Carbs for 10 days up until today, than today was the switch to minimal fat/proteins. My running started dropping off significantly last couple of days:

Tuesday Run - 6 miles with 5 @ MP heartrate - average MP Pace was 7:01 minutes per mile.

Wednesday Run -Same 6 miles with 5 @ MP heartrate - average MP Pace 6:54

Today (Thursday) I carb loaded with OJ/Bagel for breakfast, Pasta lunch at Olive Garden for lunch and a Pasta Party with my running club for dinner. Went for a run after dinner:

Thursday Run - 5 miles with 4 @ MP heartrate - average MP Pace 6:16 (and HR was actually only 163 vs target 164) - now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

I was getting little jittery seeing those high pace numbers last couple days - Love the CARBS!!

No comments: